Beacon Hill International Library
Library Mission Statement
The mission of the school library is to support students, families, staff and standards through information literacy and literacy skills instruction, reading advocacy and program management in an engaging, learning-focused, welcoming environment. READ! READ! READ! READ! READ!
We aim to inspire reading and information gathering for pleasure and intellectual growth. A hub in the Beacon Hill International School community, we enthusiastically welcome all students, staff, and families.
Beacon Hill International School Library’s mission is to provide a place for the school community of students, staff, and families which will:
- Encourage an appreciation for literature, reading, and libraries
- Allow and encourage access to many forms of information
- Support school staff in planning and teaching the curriculum
Social Justice Resources – Check out this extensive list of books for Black Lives Matter and Social Justice topics created by the Seattle Public School Librarians. We will have copies of ALL the K-5 books available in our library this fall.
Returning Library Books
While we can’t enter the building for our own safety you can still return your child’s library books to school any time by just putting them in the mail slot at the front entrance to the building. I will check them in when it is safe for me to return to the building.
If you know that you have lost a book, fines can be paid by parents on the Source, not by students, please log into the Source
Seattle Foundation Grant
Our library has also received a $10,000 grant from the Seattle Foundation!! I am working closely with staff to purchase books to support their classroom curriculums, high interest books and replace lost books. This grant could not have come at a better time!
We welcome any books that your family has outgrown or would love to share with our school community or if your child wants to trade a book they may use our “Trading Tower” where children trade books that they have outgrown.
Beacon Hill International School Library has over 14,000 books, and receives hundreds of new books and other materials each year. This adds up to a lot of work! Ms. Thompson is always looking for volunteers for these tasks.
- Shelving – the easiest and most needed form of help. You can schedule a regular day to help, or just drop in and shelve a few minutes when you are in the building.
- Special Projects – If you’d rather help by coming in once and a while to do something else this is a choice as well. You could stamp or cover new materials, take pictures for our library wall, or help organize the library.
If you are interested in any of these please drop by the library, email email@example.com or call 206-252-2712.